Students often opt for Masters degrees like MA, MBA, MSc, or PGDM courses but only a few know about MRes. MRes courses are perfect for students with a keen interest in research over any taught course. When it comes to pursuing MREs abroad, the #1 choice of students around the globe. The UK is the hub of ancient universities that have existed for more than 900 years offering some of the best courses. MRes in the UK will enhance your skills and advance your subject knowledge.
MRes is a taught postgraduate degree in which you will complete a substantial research project. MRes in the UK is open to students with an undergraduate degree and provides a structured introduction to research as well as the opportunity to study a specific subject area in greater depth while honing your research abilities. You’ll spend a third of your time on the taught portion of your course, which will include your selected subject and research methods instruction, and the other two-thirds on your individualized research dissertation. Some of the skills you will acquire pursuing MRes in the UK are:
- Critical thinking
- Project management
Also Read: What is Knitwear Design?
How is MRes Different from Other Postgraduate Courses?
In a traditional master’s degree program, you would take certain courses/units to complete the required number of credits for your degree. For each of your classes, you have to take tests and complete projects/assignments to receive a grade. In the last semester, you’ll complete a research project for your dissertation/thesis to demonstrate competence in your field.
While in MRes in the UK you’ll forego the formal classes and dive right into researching your chosen field. This is usually done with the assistance of a supervisor who can help you through the procedure. Unlike other master’s programs, MRes in the UK is more self-guided and self-taught, which means you’ll need to be quite disciplined to complete it.
Eligibility for MRes in the UK
- Completion of 10+2
- Undergraduate degree in related field with first-class or upper-second-class honors in the UK (2:1 or above)
- A minimum IELTS score with a minimum of 6.5 in each component, or an equivalent English language certificate
From immigration law to design, you can find MRes in the field you want in the UK. Here are some of the popular courses you can explore for MRes in the UK.
- Experimental and Translational Immunology MRes
- MRes Social Anthropology
- Computer Science MRes
- MRes Bioscience
- Law MRes
- Clinical Drug Development MRes
- Global Politics (MRes)
- Philosophy (MRes)
- MRes Health Science
- MRes Sport and Exercise Science
Thinking about which specialization in MRes in the UK is perfect for you? Try AI Course Finder powered by Leverage Edu and you will find the course that fits you the best.
Cost of Study
You can study MRes in the UK as a full-time or part-time course. Full-time courses are more expensive than part-time courses.
- In the academic year 2022/23, UK students will pay £4,400(379,764 INR), and international students will pay £14,000(1,208,340 INR)
- £2,150(185,566 INR) per academic year for UK students and 2021/22; £2,934(253,233 INR) international students
Is the cost of studying MRes in the UK stopping you from pursuing your dream course? Contact our Leverage Finance experts and find affordable loans.
Top 10 Universities for MRes in the UK
Wondering how you can be a part of top-ranked universities offering MRes in the UK? Attend the Uniconnect Virtual Fair by Leverage Edu and get a chance to directly apply to your dream university with us. Register Now!
- University of Bath
- University College London
- London School of Economics
- University of Birmingham
- University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- London South Bank University
- Birkbeck, University of London
- University of East London
- University of Roehampton
- Kingston University
Application Process for MRes in the UK
You must apply online to be considered. Supporting materials can be submitted online with your application or as hard copy documents directly to the university. The following documents should be included in each application:
1. Online application form
2. Outline of a 3000-word research proposal
3. All of your previous degrees’ certificates, which must be official English translations
4. Official English translations of all of your previous degrees’ grade transcripts. At this point, an up-to-date interim transcript will suffice if you are actively enrolled in a degree program
5. Two academic references, one from your most recent degree, if possible. Please keep in mind that if you nominate a possible supervisor, they will not be able to function as a referee for you
6. Certificate of IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE test results (if applicable)
Also Read: B Des (Bachelor of Design) – Choose Your Area of Design
Job Profiles & Salary
MRes has gained popularity all over the world in the last few years. Students with MRes degrees are not just restricted to research jobs and have many profiles to explore.
|Job Profiles||Salary per annum (in INR)|
|Research advisor/manager||4,213,317 INR|
|Medical science liaison||11,071,965 INR|
|Scientific advisor/manager||78,41,595.25 INR|
|Clinical research associate||4,00,000 INR|
|Academic research assistant||3,909,433 INR|
|Research and development technician/assistant||28,64,368.56 INR|
|Clinical trial officer||3681517.84 INR|
|Clinical data analyst||25,25,629.25 INR|
This is your guide for MRes in the UK. Are you planning to take admission in one of the top-ranked in the UK but don’t know where to start? Our experts at Leverage Edu will guide you through the application to the Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 and book your FREE 30-minute counseling session today!