South Korea has a rich history of providing educational opportunities for students through scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate both academic and professional excellence. South Korea has also opened up scholarship opportunities to international students in recent years, in order to promote international exchange and collaboration. These scholarships are a great way for South Korean students to gain access to higher education and gain skills that will help them achieve their goals.
As the world’s most dynamic and culturally vibrant country, South Korea has emerged as the go-to study destination for Indian students. The country offers a myriad of courses at master’s and doctoral levels in English and the Korean language. They also offer scholarships, fee waivers, and unique opportunities to international students to encourage cross-cultural exchange. So, if you are planning to immerse yourself in the Korean culture and experience its k-pop culture up close then here is a list of scholarships for South Korea to bowl you over!
Top Government And University-Based Scholarships
Here are the top scholarships for South Korea offered by government institutions and universities
- Global Korea Scholarship
- Korean Government Scholarship
- Samsung Global Hope Scholarship Program
- Posco Tj Park Scholarship For Asian Students Studying In Korea
- Yonsei University Underwood International College (UIC) Admissions Scholarship
- Korea University Scholarships For International Students
- Ewha Global Partnership Program (EGPP)
- Changwon National University (CWNU) Graduate School Full Time Research Scholarship
- Seoul National University (SNU) President Fellowship
- Kaist For Graduate And Undergraduate
Let’s look at some of the scholarships for South Korea that Indians can avail to ease the cost of studying and living in the country:
Global Korea Scholarship (GKS)
- Scholarship Amount: Full cost of tuition (not exceeding KRW 5 million (325,153 INR).
- Eligible Degree: Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees at select Korean universities
- The GKS program, undoubtedly the best scholarship for international students in Korea, was established by the Korean government to foster international educational interactions and friendships.
- 220 undergraduate and 1,080 graduate students would be able to study for free at selected Korean institutions as a result of this initiative.
- A resettlement payment, living allowance, medical insurance, and language course expenses are all included in the scholarship. A prize of KRW 100,000 (6,628 INR) will be awarded to those who demonstrate great Korean language competence.
- Graduate students are also eligible for research assistance, dissertation printing costs, and a KRW 100,000 (6,628 INR) full grant.
- Applicants must be under the age of 25 (undergraduate) or 40 (graduate) to be considered. A GPA of at least 80% from your prior university is also required.
Samsung Global Hope Scholarship Program
- Full tuition for 8 semesters (undergraduate), 4 semesters (master’s), or 6 semesters (doctoral) (PhD)
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees from Samsung partner universities are eligible.
- Applicants from the DAC list of OCD recipients are eligible to apply for the Samsung Global Hope Scholarship Program. Least developed, low-income, lower-middle-income, and upper-middle-income countries are included in this category.
- Scholars are chosen based on their academic ability, language skills (both Korean and English), and financial necessity. Awards are also presented to students who are most likely to return to their home countries and help them flourish.
- The student’s application should be sent to the university of his or her choosing.
Posco Tj Park Scholarship For Asian Students Studying In Korea
- Scholarship Amount: Full tuition for 4 semesters
- Eligible Degree: Master’s and Doctoral degrees
- This scholarship in Korea is only available to Asian students who intend to pursue graduate studies in South Korea, as the name implies. It was created to assist in the development of Asia’s future generation of leaders.
- Aside from covering tuition for four semesters, the scholarship will also provide a $900(66,282 INR) monthly living stipend.
- The applicant must have earned a Bachelor’s degree in Korea or another nation to be considered.
- Despite this bare minimum, all applications will be subjected to two rounds of selection. The first look at the documents that have been presented, while the second depends on the applicant’s interview.
- The student must have successfully applied (and passed) his or her preferred university after clearing the two selection processes. The student will subsequently be designated as a POSCO Asia fellow.
Yonsei University Underwood International College (UIC) Admissions Scholarship
- Scholarship Amount: Full tuition for 4 years
- Yonsei UIC undergraduate programs are eligible (16 majors under 5 divisions)
- Yonsei University, one of the greatest universities in South Korea, has just inaugurated the country’s first English-language liberal arts college. It is known as UIC and has 2,500 students from 66 nations.
- The UIC scholarship is unique in that it instantly considers all candidates. The recipients of this prestigious scholarship in Korea are chosen based on their academic achievements. Once you’ve been chosen, you’ll receive a scholarship notice along with your admission packet.
- Students must maintain a particular GPA to continue their eligibility for the following academic year, like with other scholarships.
Korea University Scholarships For International Students
- Amount of Scholarship: Partial to full tuition for up to 8 semesters
- Eligible Degree: Bachelor’s degree
- Korea University has some of the most costly tuition fees in the country because it is a private college. Many foreigners have been able to complete their undergraduate education at the school for free because of these fantastic Korean scholarship schemes.
- Entrance scholarships, for example, may be provided to a small number of incoming students.
- There is no need to submit a separate application because the awards are chosen based on their merits.
- On the other hand, current students may be eligible for the Academic Excellence or Academic Improvement scholarships.
- To renew his or her grant for the following year, the student must maintain a particular GPA, like with most merit prizes.
Ewha Global Partnership Program (EGPP)
- Full tuition subsidy for 8 semesters (undergraduate), 4 semesters (master’s), or 6 semesters (doctorate) (PhD)
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees from Ewha Woman’s University are eligible (EWU)
- EWU is a South Korean private university based in Seoul. Undergraduate semester fees start at $3,300(242,036 INR), while graduate semester fees are around $4,700(346,143 INR).
- The EGPP, on the other hand, covers the entire cost of undergraduate or graduate study. In addition, awardees will receive free dormitory housing and a living stipend. This stipend, however, does not cover insurance.
- Female applicants from poor nations are eligible for the EGPP. Awardees are chosen based on their academic ability and aptitude for leadership.
- Every year, eligibility must be verified and renewed.
Changwon National University (CWNU) Graduate School Full Time Research Scholarship
- Amount of Scholarship: Full tuition subsidy for four semesters
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree from CWNU is required.
- CWNU is a public university in South Korea’s southeastern region.
- It is home to a prestigious Graduate School, one of many Korean universities that provide full scholarships to international graduate students.
- However, the qualifications for this scholarship in Korea are rather strict.
- Master’s candidates must be the lead/first author on one article — or a co-author on two. Similarly, PhD candidates must have published a paper to be considered.
- Art majors, on the other hand, may substitute one or more exhibits, performances, or art presentations for the research requirement.
- The awardee must maintain a GPA of at least 3.5 to be eligible for the next term.
Seoul National University (SNU) President Fellowship
- Full tuition for 6 semesters is covered by the scholarship.
- A doctoral degree from SNU is required.
- SNU is the country’s most prominent institution, having been founded in 1946.
- It also offers the similarly esteemed SNU President Fellowship program, one of Korea’s most distinguished scholarships for international students. It is awarded to PhD students who work as faculty members in universities around Asia, South America, and Africa, to name a few.
- Applicants with significant accomplishments in the disciplines of public health, agriculture, medicine, engineering, developmental studies, and Korean studies are given preference.
- Deserving students will get a six-month full-tuition scholarship, including living expenses (KRW 1.5 million, or $1,352(99,571 INR for four years), group medical insurance, and round-trip airfare.
- During the fall and spring semesters, SNU will also reimburse the cost of language programs that are only taken in the evenings.
- To receive this valuable benefit for three years, the awardee must maintain a GPA of at least 3.0.
MBA in South Korea
Kaist For Graduate And Undergraduate
- KAIST is one of the greatest colleges in the world for science and technology. It was established as Korea’s first research university less than 50 years ago.
- The Korean government, as well as private companies like Hyundai and Samsung, sponsor research at KAIST.
- Whether a domestic or international student, every student accepted to KAIST receives a fully supported scholarship. The classes are taught in English to facilitate improved communication and global thinking.
Universities in Seoul
Eligibility for Scholarship in South Korea
The following qualifications must be met by potential applicants.
- Must be a citizen of the country offering the scholarship, which includes the applicants’ parents.
- As of March 1st of the invitation year, you must have graduated or be slated to graduate from high school.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 80 percent (out of 100 percent) or be in the top 20% (out of 100 %) of high school students.
- Must be enroled in a graduate program or doctoral program in the country
- Both the applicant and his or her parents must be nationals of another country.
- Applicants who are citizens of Korea are not eligible to apply for this program.
- Applicants must be under the age of 40 on September 1st, 2013. (born after Sep. 1st, 1973).
- Applicants must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.64 on a 4.0 scale, 2.80 on a 4.3 scale, 2.91 on a 4.5 scale, or 80 % or better grades/marks/scores from their prior institution. The candidate will be disqualified to apply to this program if he or she does not meet the aforesaid GPA standards.
- A total of 170 people will be awarded under the Korean government’s scholarship program (undergraduate course) and 700 people will be given graduate courses.
Must Read: Education System in South Korea
How to Apply for Scholarships for Indian Students to Study in South Korea?
- Find out about possible scholarships for Indian students to study in South Korea, as well as a selection of universities that would be a good fit for you.
- Examine the application rules and selection criteria for each university.
- Consider the difficulty of admittance, as well as the safety, match, and reach schools for your scores
- Organize your materials according to the applicable standards.
- Some schools require online recommendation letters.
- You have the option of submitting your South Korean scholarship application via email or online.
How to Apply for South Korea Visa: A Step By Step Guide
These scholarships for South Korea are a sure-shot way to experience the fascinating culture of South Korea. If you are interested in studying in this unique Asian country then drop us a comment below and we will help you navigate through the process! Follow Leverage Edu on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more information!