Spain Study Visa

Are you interested in studying in Spain? If so, you may need to apply for a Spain Study Visa. This visa allows you to stay in Spain for an extended period of time while you pursue your educational goals. Depending on the type of program you’re enrolled in and the length of your stay, there are a few different visas available to choose from. With a successful application, you can experience the vibrant culture and educational opportunities of living in Spain.

A Spain Study Visa allows you to study or train, take part in a student exchange, or work as an unpaid intern for more than three months in Spain. There are different types of Spanish Student Visas that are valid for different periods of time. Students need to apply at a Spanish embassy or consulate and provide a range of paperwork. In India, you can apply via the Embassy of Spain in New Delhi or the Consulate General of Spain in Mumbai. In this blog, we have discussed about Spain Study Visa

Click Here to Know About the Spain Work Visa

What is Spain Student Visa?

You can travel to Spain on a student visa to study, train, participate in a student exchange, or work as an unpaid intern there for more than three months. Without a visa, people of the EU and Switzerland can go to Spain to study. Spanish student visas come in a variety of forms and have varying terms of validity. Students must submit a variety of documents together with their application at a Spanish embassy or consulate. Before applying, a course must first be accepted.

Types of Spanish Visas for Students

  • Visa-Free Permit valid for 90 days – This Permit is offered to students from countries eligible for visa-free entry (India being one of them) for a period of 90 days. This Visa is valid in case you have applied to a course that is shorter than 90 days. 
  • Short-Term Student Visa (3-6 Months) – Short-Term Student Visas are valid for up to 180 days. The application process is less complicated as less paperwork is required. Students can take Spanish language courses and any short courses offered by colleges and universities with this type of Visa. The duration of short-term Student Visas cannot be extended under any circumstance. 
  • Long-Term Student Visa (The National Type D Visa) – This Visa is valid for a period of more than 6 months. In addition to completing the visa application, students are also required to apply for a student residence card at an immigration office within a month of arriving in Spain.

Hola! Know these Unique Ways to Say Hello in Spanish!

When and Where to Apply for Student Visa in Spain?

  • Once you’ve been admitted to a Spanish university, get in touch with the Spanish embassy or consulate in your region and inquire about the list of paperwork you’ll need to submit with your visa application. Depending on the restrictions from your own nation or each consulate, different papers can be needed.In certain consulates, you must make an appointment; in others, you can simply leave your documents without an appointment.
  • It is advised that you book or arrive at the consulate as soon as possible to leave the necessary papers. Your visa application may be processed in as little as a few weeks or as long as three months. For the most recent processing time estimates, always visit the consulate’s website.

How to Apply

  • Visa Applicants have to apply and enrol in a University in Spain. On the basis of your programme, figure out which type of Visa you need.
  • Collect all the documentation and create an application package with the required documents, valid passport and photos. 
  • Book an appointment with either BLS, Embassy of Spain or Consulate General of Spain to submit your application. You’ll have to pay the required fees and await a decision.

Top 10 Ways to Say Goodbye in Spanish

Required Documents

Though the required documentation may vary depending on your case, the general documents required are:

  • A Completed Application Form
  • A Valid Passport
  • An Identity Card (Like a Driver’s License)
  • Current Student ID
  • Recent passport photos 
  • Letter of Acceptance from the course provider
  • Travel Medical Insurance
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover stay (bank statements) – You require at least €538 per month to live in Spain.
  • Proof of Accommodation in Spain

Also Read: UK Visa Application

Visa Processing Time

The Visa processing is handled by the Embassy of Spain, New Delhi, and the Consulate General of Spain, Mumbai. In the case of a Short Term Study Visa, the visa processing is undertaken by the BLS service, which results in additional charges. The location you have to submit your application to depends on where you live. 

Listed below are the States/Union Territories and where they have to apply for a Spain Study Visa.

Location States/Union Territories
Embassy of Spain, New Delhi Jammu and Kashmir
Uttar Pradesh
Arunachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh
West Bengal
Delhi NCR
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Lakshadweep Island
Consulate General of Spain, Mumbai Gujarat, Maharashtra, Telangana, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa Chattisgarh, Pondicherry, and Tamil Nadu

The Decision can take 30 to 60 days. After that, the Visa Processing of a National Visa can take up to 15 days while a Schengen Visa is typically provided within 4 days. Real-time may differ depending on the time of the year. 

Must Read: Study in Europe

Spain Study Visa Fee Expenses

In order to apply for a National Visa, Indian Citizens have to pay an amount of INR 5,367. In the case of Short Term Visas, Students are exempted from the Visa Fees but are required to pay the BLS International Service Charge of INR 1,382.

Reasons for Rejection of Student Visa

There are instances in which your Visa is denied to you. Listed below are some of the more common reasons in which Visas have been denied:

  • In case you Lack Accommodation or Sufficient Economic Means
  • In case the Visa Officers are sceptical of your intentions to come to or leave Spain
  • In case False or Invalid Documents have been presented
  • In case the Applicant has a Criminal Record

Spain Study Visa Work Provisions

The Spain Study Visa allows students to work part-time or in a temporary position for the duration of the course, given that the following conditions are met:

  • The maximum number of hours cannot exceed 20 hours a week
  • The job must not interfere with the candidate’s studies.

In order for a Student Visa holder to get a job, the employer has to obtain a work permit from the Foreign Office. The employment contract cannot exceed the duration of the study visa. For internships that are part of a course, the work permit is not necessary

Must Read: Europe Work Visa

Study in Spain Without IELTS

Spain is a top destination not just for travelling but for studying abroad as well. There are versatile courses you can enrol into without IELTS if you have completed your previous education of more than one year in the English language. Here are the universities in Spain that offer programs to study abroad without IELTS:

  • Universidad Antonio de Nebrija
  • Pablo de Olavide University
  • University of Valencia
  • The University of Salamanca

You can also study in Spain without IELTS if:

  • You are a native speaker of an English-speaking country;
  • Your previous degree of education is from an English Medium University/College;
  • You choose to study in a Spanish Programme. The main Spanish test accepted is the DELE test (Diploma de Español Como Lengua Extranjera).

You can also provide any other official language certification such as: 

  • TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language)
  • FCE (First Certificate in English) 
  • CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English) 
  • CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English) 
  • Cambridge English: Business Vantage (BEC Vantage) 
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) 
  • Cambridge English Linguaskill 

Spain Student Visa Validity

You are only permitted to stay in Spain for the allotted 180 days if you are granted a long-stay student visa. On the other hand, if your Spain student visa does not include this restriction, you will need to get a one-year-valid foreigner identity card. As long as you keep up your studies, you can renew it five times.

Must Read: Scholarships for Studying in Spain

Interested in studying in Spain? Connect with our experts at Leverage Edu to get all the information you need for a successful Spanish Study Visa! Call us at 1800 57 2000 to book your FREE counselling session today.