“Vancouver is Manhattan with mountains. It’s a liquid city, a tomorrow city, equal parts India, China, England, France, and the Pacific Northwest. It’s the cool North American sibling.” quoted by the New York Times. Vancouver is a great study abroad destination because it is among the top five cities for quality of life and education around the globe. The city is the most populous region in western Canada and in the past 30 years, immigration has increased drastically turning this city into a diverse mosaic of cultures.
Why Study in Vancouver?
The city known for its rains gives a chance to international students to either start their own business or secure a job in the tech industry, which is the second-fastest-growing sector in British Columbia according to the Vancouver economic commission.
- Safe City: It has a zero-tolerance policy against crimes and discrimination irrespective of race, caste, religion, and ethnicity, the city has low crime rates, making it a safe place for its residents and students alike.
- Multicultural Environment: Students living in Vancouver will get to experience life and witness a variety of many different cultures. The city does not shy away from embracing its diverse nature and celebrates vibrant festivals such as the Chinese New Year, German Christmas and Sikh Vaisakhi, which also blesses the city with music, amazing food from different lands and performances from across the globe.
- Home to Top Ranked Universities: After the USA and UK, Canada is the home to most of the top-rated universities in the world. In comparison to those in the USA, colleges in Canada offer quality education at a reasonable cost.
- Education System in Vancouver: The higher education system focuses on a dynamic learning style, with teaching methods integrated with practical experience and research activities in order to enhance independent study and future career success.
- Modern Facilities and Equipment: Studying in Vancouver is efficient as the institutions offer well-equipped modern facilities, including research laboratories and academic libraries. Some universities provide numerous distance (online) learning degrees for graduate, undergraduate and doctoral studies, in many subject areas.
Also Read: Study in Canada After 12th
Vancouver is also the top choice for students who aim to get a degree in English and is a growing technological hub. The city is most suitable for those who have a passion for information technology and will increase their chances of securing a job in the tech industry.
- Digital media
- Information technology
- Mass communication
- Business Management
- Pharmaceutical science
Thinking about which course is perfect for you to study in Vancouver? Try AI Course Finder powered by Leverage Edu and you will find the course that fits you the best.
The average cost of studying in Vancouver ranges between INR 9 lakhs to 12 lakhs. The cost may modify depending upon the course you choose and level of study. Here is an average cost of tuition fee of popular universities in Vancouver:
|Universities||Undergraduate Tuition Fee||Graduate Tuition Fee|
|University of British Columbia||27,292 – 39,574 CA$ (15,75,099 – 22,83,928 INR)||8,952 CA$ (5,16,645 INR)|
|Simon Fraser University||25,791 – 29,377 CA$ (14,88,472 – 16,95,430 INR)||3,894 CA$ (2,24,733 INR)|
|University Canada West||17,400 CA$ (10,04,203 INR)||7,020-17,550 CA$ (4,05,144 – 10,12,860 INR)|
|Vancouver Island University||16,680 CA$ (9,62,650 INR).||17,400 CA$ (10,04,203 INR)|
|Capilano University||19,068 CA$ (11,00,468 INR)||29,146 CA$ (16,82,098 INR)|
|Emily Carr University of Art and Design||7,728 CA$ (4,46,004 INR)||14,684-16,641 CA$ (8,47,455 – 9,60,399 INR)|
Is the cost of study in Vancouver stopping you from pursuing your dream course? Contact our Leverage Finance experts and find affordable loans.
Accommodation & Cost of Living
The Cost of living in Vancouver for an international student is 500 – 2000 CA$ (28,856 – 1,15,425 INR) per month in a rented apartment. The cost of an on-campus accommodation can vary from institution to institution. For example – At the University of British Columbia, a room and a meal plan will cost between 10,000 – 13,850 CA$ (5,77,128 – 7,99,322 INR) while renting a one-bedroom apartment in the city centre will cost about 2050 CA$/month (1,18,311 INR) on average. Your average cost of living in Vancouver will be 1340 CA$ (77,335 INR) to meet food, internet, travel and health insurance needs per month.
Did you know? While studying in Vancouver you will get an U-Pass which enables them unlimited access to bus, SeaBus and SkyTrain services and its amount is generally added into the tuition fee. This is available to students of public universities in Vancouver.
Also Read: Scholarships in Canada
Top 10 Universities & Colleges in Vancouver
Wondering how you can be a part of top-ranked universities in Vancouver? Attend the Uniconnect Virtual Fair by Leverage Edu and get a chance to directly apply to your dream university with us. Register Now!
- University of British Columbia
- Simon Fraser University
- University Canada West
- Vancouver Island University
- Capilano University
- Emily Carr University of Art & Design
- Columbia College
- Langara College
- Vancouver Community College
- Regent College
University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a public research university with campuses in Vancouver and Kelowna. UBC is the oldest university in this region and is ranked amongst the top three universities in Canada. As the most reputed university in the city of Vancouver, it is also one of the most expensive ones. It attracts, nurtures and inspires more than 68,000 students from Canada and 140+ countries around the world. UBC’s global alumni network has more than 370,000 individuals, representing 148 countries. UBC counts 8 Nobel laureates and 71 Rhodes Scholars among its alumni, and three Canadian Prime Ministers, including the current Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau.
Simon Fraser University
Simon Fraser University is a public research university in British Columbia, Canada, with three campuses: Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver. It has been rated Canada’s top comprehensive university by Maclean’s Magazine in more than one instance. ). With three campuses, 30,000 undergraduate students, 5,700 graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, over 160,000 alumni and close to 1,000 tenure-track faculty, SFU has developed a strategic vision as an “engaged university defined by its dynamic integration of innovative education, cutting-edge research, and far-reaching community engagement.” The university has a substantial international student population and worldwide research and program linkages.
University Canada West
University Canada West is a private, for-profit university in British Columbia, Canada. Established in 2004, University Canada West (UCW) is an innovative business and technology-oriented institution in Vancouver, Canada, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees for domestic and international students. UCW offers a range of career-focused programs and is a future-focused university offering students a customized educational experience within the ever-evolving context of global business. The University fuses innovation, entrepreneurship and technologies, preparing students to have a global impact as they make a difference and solve real-world challenges.UCW integrates experience with learning, equipping its graduates with the mindset, expertise and technologies to influence the business, economic, social, digital and environmental issues confronting our region, nation and world.
Vancouver Island University
Vancouver Island University is a Canadian public university serving Vancouver Island and coastal British Columbia. Starting as Malaspina College in 1969, it has grown into a university that plays an important role in the educational, cultural, and economic life of the region
Capilano University (CapU) is a teaching-focused university driven by imaginative approaches to education and thoughtful engagement with the communities it serves. Based on Vancouver’s North Shore, at the foot of the Coastal Mountains and 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver, the University also offers programming that serves the Sunshine Coast and the Sea-to-Sky corridor. CapU prioritizes offering a distinct university experience for students and supporting well-being among its campus community.
Emily Carr University of Art & Design
Named after the legendary landscape painter of the Paciﬁc Northwest, Emily Carr University of Art + Design is more than a world-class centre for fine arts education. The university offers undergraduate degrees in fine art, media art and design, as well as graduate degrees and certificate programs. Each concentration aims for a healthy mix of in-studio learning and theory. In 2020, it was ranked the top art and design university in Canada by QS World University Rankings.
Also Read: Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Canada
The application process to apply to universities in Canada is the same for all intakes. Here is an overview of the step-by-step application process to study in Vancouver:
- Visit the official website of the university you are interested in
- Check the course curriculum and the eligibility requirements.
- Click on the application form of the respective university.
- First, you need to create an account using your mobile number or email address.
- You will receive an email or SMS on your registered contact number with login details and verification.
- Use the login details provided and enter your personal details ( name, gender, date of birth)
- Enter your academic qualification and upload the required documents.
- Select the course and pay the application fee.
- The application fee is different for every university and can be paid through a debit/credit card or internet banking.
- Submit your application form, you can also track your application form through your account.
- Students that have been selected will be required to attend a virtual interview by some universities.
- Official academic transcripts
- Scanned copy of passport
- CV/ Resume
- Letter of Recommendation
- English language proficiency test scores
- Statement of Purpose
- Two Reference Letters
- Postgraduate applicants have to submit a translation of the degree certificate in case the degree certificate is in another language other than English.
This was your guide on how to study in Vancouver. Are you planning to take admission to one of these universities but don’t know where to start? Our experts at Leverage Edu will guide you through the application to Visa process. Call us at 1800 57 2000 and book your FREE 30-minute counselling session today!