A city that gave Michael Jordan immense popularity, is also a hub of international students. A high standard of living and education has made Chicago one of the most student-friendly American cities. Universities in Chicago are proof of the growing influx of Indian students who come to ‘The Windy City’ to experience top-notch education, classic American culture and a global career in diverse fields.
Did you know- Chicago has 8,800 acres of green spaces and more than 600 parks!
Why Study in Chicago?
New York, Los Angeles, Boston and Silicon Valley often come up when we talk about the popular cities for international students.
- Student life:The student life in the windy city is vibrant and happening! With a variety of bistros, adventures, sports and historical relevances, the fast city never sleeps.
- Affordable: It is quite affordable compared to the other American cities. It is the 95th most expensive student city according to the Numbeo Cost of Living Index.
- Assortment of Programs: Bachelors, masters, PhD, MBA, EMBA, diplomas or certificate courses are a wide range of programs offered by universities in USA and its cities.
- Career Opportunities: This city is one of the richest cities in the USA, home to 12 of the Fortune 500 companies. Science, engineering, aerospace, publishing, manufacturing, food processing, etc are the progressive fields making it a busy economy. More economic activity leads to more employment opportunities for international students.
Top Universities in Chicago
|University||QS World University Ranking 2022|
|University of Chicago||10|
|University of Illinois Chicago||285|
|Illinois Institute of Technology||444|
|Loyola University Chicago||801-1000|
Check out the top universities in the Golden State of California!
University of Chicago
Making it to the list of the top 10 universities in the world is the University of Chicago. It is a private research university located in the Hyde Park neighbourhood of Chicago. Amongst the numerous academic disciplines that this university offers, economics, law, mathematics, political science, sociology, physics and religion are considered very popular. Indians form the largest community within the international student population. The acceptance rate is at 6.2% which makes it really difficult to get in.
Fun Fact: Former president of the USA, Barack Obama was a law professor at the University of Chicago for 12 years before he ventured into politics!
Northwestern University, located on the outskirts of Chicago, is the oldest chartered university in the state of Illinois. What makes Northwestern University really popular is the Kellogg School of Management, one of the oldest business schools in the world. This university has produced 12 billionaires, 24 Olympic medallists and 22 Nobel Laureates. Meghan Markle (actress), Seth Meyers (talk show host), Pharrell Williams (Grammy awardee), George Martin (author of the Game of Thrones), Gwynne Shotwell (COO of SpaceX) are just a few names from their alumni network.
Fun Fact: Both Stephen Colbert and David Schwimmer went to Northwestern University together and were a part of an improv group called “The No-Fun Mud Piranhas!
University of Illinois Chicago
Another underrated gem on the list of top universities in Chicago is the University of Illinois Chicago. 12.1% of the student population come from international backgrounds. The university has been declared as an R1 Doctoral Universities: Very high research activity. UIC, the largest university in the city, is also home to the largest medical school in the USA. For Indian study abroad aspirants, the ULC is considered one of the best universities to study abroad after graduation.
Fun Fact: The University of Illinois is the second oldest university in the state and is mentioned in the classic movies like Some Like It Hot, Risky Business, With Honors, Blues Brothers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Kicking and Screaming.
Illinois Institute of Technology
IIT Chicago is one of the leading universities in Chicago for technology and related fields. The university believes in research and innovation to be a major factor to develop Chicago and the world. Architecture, law, industrial technology, information technology, engineering and science are popular fields of research at IIT Chicago. The acceptance rate of this university is approximately 60% which is fairly easy.
Fun Fact: An engine of opportunity, Illinois Institute of Technology has been ranked #1 in the Chicago for Occupational Earnings Power by The Brookings Institution.
Loyola University Chicago
Loyola University is one of the largest catholic universities in Chicago known for its 99% graduation rate. The Law School of Loyola is well-known, particularly for its healthcare law. Top executives of major Chicago based firms like McDonalds and Baxter International are a part of the 150,000 member alumni network. It is also one of the US universities with a high acceptance rate.
Fun Fact: It is a Roman Catholic University and its motto is ‘For the greater glory of God’!
The eligibility requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate courses are as follows:
- ACT/SAT test for undergraduate courses
- GMAT/GRE entrance tests for postgraduate courses
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE test as proof of English proficiency
- All previous academic transcripts in the English language
- Minimum 2 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
Learn How to Make Your Scores Shine with Our Experts from Leverage Live
- Register your profile on the Common or the Coalition Application which is a common admission portal for universities in the USA
- Research and look for the universities you’d like to go to and also the preferred course
- You can then take the entrance and English tests that will help you qualify for universities
- Attach all the academic and financial documents required for admission and submit your application
- You will have to wait for 6-8 weeks to hear from the admission committee
- Once accepted, you can start looking for accommodations, scholarships and apply for the F-1 Visa
Make sure that the SEVIS code you receive from the university after acceptance is attached to your US visa application, without which your application will be rejected.
Finance Universities in USA
Cost of Studying in Chicago
The cost of studying in Chicago is comparatively lower than in other student cities in the USA. An Indian student will need approximately INR 1.08 lakhs per month. Here’s the breakdown of the cost of studying and living in Chicago:
|Type of Cost||Average Expenses (INR)|
|Tuition fee||22.83 lakhs per year|
|Health Insurance and medical expenses||1.85 lakhs per year|
|Accommodation||89,340-1.36 lakhs per month|
|Food||14,828 per month|
|Travel||7,785 per month|
|Utility bills||7,040 per month|
Use Leverage Edu’s cost of living calculator to know your personal cost of studying at USA now!
Top Business Schools for MBA
Future CEOs and entrepreneurs, these are the best business schools in Chicago you can do your MBA from:
- Kellogg School of Management
- Booth School of Business
- Kellstadt Graduate School of Business
- Quinlan School of Business
- Liautaud Graduate School of Business
Top Medical Schools for MBBS
If you wish to be a doctor from the top medical schools in Chicago, here’s your list!
- Pritzker College of Medicine
- Feinberg School of Medicine
- University of Illinois College of Medicine
- Rush University Medical College
- Stritch School of Medicine
Universities for Computer Science
Computer Science is an interesting field and requires conceptual plus practical knowledge. You can study Computer Science in Chicago from:
- University of Illinois Chicago
- Loyola University Chicago
- Depaul University
- Roosevelt University
- Northeastern Illinois University
Universities in Chicago for Masters
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois Chicago
- Rush University
- Loyola University, Chicago
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago
Universities in Chicago Without IELTS or TOEFL
There are two colleges that require no IELTS requirement for their courses are National Louis University and Kendall College.
Duolingo Accepting Universities in the USA
Best Cities in Study in USA
- New York
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
A city bustling with opportunities in education and career for international students. If you wish to study in one of the universities in Chicago, call Leverage Edu at 1800-572-000 and book your first counselling session for free!